Automobile accidents can be challenging and often scary situations to deal with. It can be hard to take the time to consider the proper steps after an accident, the moments following an accident can be incredibly stressful and you may not be in your right state of mind. That’s why it’s important to understand the proper steps to take in the moments and days following an accident to ensure optimal safety. Here are some tips on what to do following an automobile accident:
- Move your car to safety. If your car is mobile, it’s vital to move your car out of the flow of traffic if safety allows you to do so.
- Check for safety. Regardless of who you think is at fault, it’s important to make sure that all parties in the accident aren’t in a dire circumstance. Call 911 for medical assistance. If someone’s neck appears hurt, do not move them, allow the medical professionals to help.
- Call the police. A police report of the car accident is often necessary in the insurance filing process. An officer’s report of the accident will have the important data of all parties involved including name, address and insurance information.
- Take photographs. A picture is worth a thousand words, especially following a car accident. If you’re in an accident, photos can provide invaluable documentation for your insurance purposes.
- Record all details. The photographs and police report will help in your claims process and potential case, but it’s also important to record all the information regarding the accident as soon as possible while the memory is fresh. You can draw out a diagram of how you perceived the accident, for example.
- Don’t sign off on anything with the insurance company. Your car insurance company will seek to pay you as little as possible, they may even try to coerce you into singing away your right for further financial compensation. Don’t sign any agreements until you speak with an attorney.
- Seek necessary medical attention. Keep bills, paperwork and any other pertinent information for your medical visits and expenses following physical conditions created by the accident.
- Meet with an automobile accident lawyer in South Florida. Our lawyers at Lieberman Injury Law are ready to help you recover from your auto accident. We can help you determine if you have a legal case, and if so, the best methods of obtaining compensation.
Accidents can be strenuous events, but when you work with an automobile accident lawyer in Coconut Creek or any other South Florida city from our firm, you won’t be in it alone. We can help you in the aftermath of your auto accident and help you work towards receiving fair compensation. Call to schedule your free consultation today.